IDR Survey: Agent Use of Digital Advances
Independent insurance agents have made important advances in awareness and use of digital technologies in the last two years, according to the Insurance Digital Revolution’s (IDR) second Insurance Digital Transformation Survey. Today, the majority of agents, 95 percent, say that digital technologies are important or very important to their success, a substantial increase from the 58 percent who responded similarly in 2016.
“Insurance is a complex product and the majority of customers want a relationship with their insurance professional, helping them through the process and handling their unique needs,” said Mike Becker, CEO of PIA National. “This is where independent agents still hold the advantage over other options, like insurtechs and direct writers. But agents can’t stand still. They need to embrace digital tools that will enhance that relationship.”
“The results of the survey are encouraging. But there is still work to be done,” Becker said.
Additional findings include:
- Agents want more carrier support including commercial lines download, e-signature and better customer-facing solutions
- 95% say that digital technologies are important or very important
- In the past two years, the percentage of agents utilizing e-signature, quoting on web sites, customer facing portals has increased
- Only four percent of agents said carriers’ customer facing technology is excellent
- Only 37% of agencies have a written security plan or hold cybersecurity training. Despite the lack of protection 55% rate their cybersecurity protection as good or excellent.
PIA is a founding member of IDR, together with Associations & User Groups Information Exchange (AUGIE) and Agents Council for Technology (ACT). IDR is an industry advocacy and communications initiative to accelerate adoption of digital technologies that enable independent insurance agents to improve customer satisfaction, grow business, and increase profitability.