Agent to Agent: Recruitment and Retention: How Your Agency Can Find and Keep Great Employees
Finding the right employees for your agency is difficult. However, it is crucial for the success of your business. ...
By Nathan Dagley
Dagley Insurance & Financial Services Inc.
Finding the right employees for your agency is difficult. However, it is crucial for the success of your business. Training and keeping talented employees is arguably even harder than finding them in the first place, and is actually even more important. A common mistake agency owners and managers make today is that they are not creating a work environment that engages, challenges and appreciates their employees. The bottom line is that without great employees your agency will not be able to succeed.
Here are some tips on hiring and keeping the right people for your agency:
- Focus on hiring talent based on the direction your agency wants to move in, rather than hiring people based off what has worked in the past. This requires your agency to always have a plan for the future and assures that your business is adapting over time.
- Make the agency’s values, goals and overall mission well known to all employees, so that everyone is on the same page. This also helps foster more of a team focused environment, in which all employees are working towards a common goal and therefore feel more empowered to succeed and work hard.
- Measure the results of your team and keep track of how each individual is contributing. Reward those who meet goals or go above and beyond what was expected of them. Rewarding star employees works a lot better than making an example out of ones who are underperforming.
- Encourage communication and the spread of information across your agency.
- Promote from within whenever you can, rather than hiring people from outside the company. This instills more motivation within your employees and helps reinforce the team oriented environment of the office.
- Don’t stop training employees just because they are no longer new. As things in the industry change or new processes are discovered, train your employees and provide them with new information to keep them feeling challenged and not stuck in one stagnant place in their job.
Finding and keeping the right employees for your agency may seem difficult. However, with simple changes in management and a focus on a few of these tips you’ll be surprised at the results you can achieve when it comes to recruitment and retention of your employees.
Nathan Dagley is the Founder of Dagley Insurance & Financial Services, Inc., with offices in Texas and Colorado. He is responsible for the strategic direction of the company and brings leadership and vision to DIFS.